Search The Simple Hive

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Gluten Free Chicken Imperial Rolls aka Spring Rolls


Several years ago while living in Dallas, I frequented a little Vietnamese restaurant weekly for the delicious Chicken Imperial Rolls on their menu.  Some refer to these rice paper wrapped rolls as Spring rolls, but they are cemented in my head differently.  It could be due to the fact that I ordered these no less than two hundred times.  Things tend to stick after that amount of repetition.

Now that Mai's restaurant is no longer there and I no longer live in a city with an abundance of Asian restaurants, I must make my own.

Here goes.


Chicken Imperial Rolls

Ingredients:
rice paper wrappers
vermicelli rice noodles, cooked and cooled
leafy green lettuce
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cut into thin strips
bean sprouts
cilantro sprigs
unpeanut sauce or plum sauce (recipe follows)

Directions:
Cook the rice noodles according to package directions. I usually grill the chicken and boil the noodles early in the day so that they have plenty of time to cool in the fridge and it makes the dinner rush go much more smoothly.

Next, pound the heck out of the chicken breasts until they are nice and thin. Season very simply with kosher salt and cracked black pepper and grill until done. I use the George Forman for this so they cook quickly. I use the lower heat setting so they stay moist and the outsides are light brown. Let cool and cut into narrow strips.

Wash the lettuce and tear into pieces that will easily roll up. Remove any crunchy ribs. They will tear the rice paper wrappers as you roll them and then you will say bad words. Then you'll blame me and I just don't want to be the cause of such strife!

A word on bean sprouts:  Sprout your own! This takes a little planning since they can take several days until they're ready to use, but it's worth it. It's super easy and cheap. Get a jar, sprinkle some mung beans in the bottom. Fill with water and let soak for a few hours. Place some cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar and secure with a rubber band. After the beans have soaked a few hours or overnight, drain well and place the jar on its side in a dark pantry or cabinet. Rinse and drain well a couple of times a day. When the sprouts are about 1 1/2 inches long, soak them in some cold water for about an hour, then drain and store in the fridge in an air-tight container until you need them.

Or you can just buy them at the store. Whatever.

Now for the fun part! Grab a skillet that is bigger than the diameter of the rice paper wrappers you're using. Add a couple of inches of water to the pan and heat until just warm. Turn off the heat as you work and turn it back on when the water begins to cool. Soften the wrappers by placing them in the warm water. This only takes a few seconds. Ok, maybe 10, that's a little more than a few. The way I tell when the wrapper is soft enough, is I look for the texture in the wrapper to begin to disappear. (This tip won't make sense until you actually see it for yourself.) As soon as it does, pull the wrapper out of the water and lay flat on a plate.

This is where you need to work quickly. The wrapper gets sticky as it begins to dry so you need to have all your ingredients ready to roll! Place a lettuce leaf or two in the middle of the wrapper. Grab some noodles and put on top of the lettuce. Add sprouts, chicken and a couple of cilantro sprigs. Fold the bottom edge of the wrapper over the pile of yumminess, pulling everything in for a neat wrap. Fold one side, roll once. Fold the other side and then finish rolling up the wrapper.

While rolling these, you will destroy at least one wrapper. Trust me, you will. Just accept it and move along. You can start over with another wrapper, or you can do it the lazy way, like I do, and just wrap the sad little mess of a roll in another wrapper so it's double wrapped. 

Then forget it ever happened.

In the end, you will end up with what looks like a transparent egg roll. It's a little freaky looking, but don't be fooled. It's delicious! Serve with peanut sauce (or unpeanut sauce if allergic) or plum sauce.  Because tween bee and baby honeybee have peanut allergies, we serve these with homemade peanut-free peanut sauce.  We call it unpeanut sauce.  We're clever that way.  It's so delicious, you won't even miss the peanuts!

Plum Sauce
plum jam
hoisin sauce (use a gluten free brand)
water

That's it. Three ingredients. I don't measure. Shocking, I know! Just add a couple of tablespoons of hoisin to a bowl. Plop in a tablespoon to two of plum sauce and add a little water to thin to a dipping sauce consistency. Stir to combine. Done.

Chinese New Year is February 8th this year. These would be a wonderful addition to your feast!

Have a prosperous new year!

Follow Sherry Lyle of TheSimpleHive's board Lunar New Year and Asian Food on Pinterest.

1 comment:

  1. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, ANTI VIRUS, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +234 901 075 4824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete